Tuesday, January 31, 2012

January Recap!

1. Sisterhood Everlasting 4/5

2. Legend 5/5
I loved this one. It reminded me a lot of The Hunger Games Trilogy. It centered on a boy named Day, who is a rebel in the Republic. He ends up meeting June who is undercover for the Republic. Chaos ensues. Yadda Yadda. But it was really good. Ready for the next book.

3. The Six Rules of Maybe 2/5
Not very good. Suffered through it.

4. Dr. Horrible and Other Horrible Stories 5/5
Loved these little short stories!! Great background info on the characters of one of my favorite Joss Whedon productions

5.Between 4/5
Having read Jessica Warman's book Breathless last year I knew that I would love her writing style in this book as well. I loved the story and how Liz was forced in her afterlife to face something she was most ashamed of and feared the most in her life. It was lovely to see the transformation and even though I had figured out the story's twist pretty much from the beginning, I loved figuring out the smaller details along the way.
My one big issue with this story was the repetition. Liz talked about Josie and the rumors about Nicole and her father constantly throughout the book. I got a little tired of hearing the same thing over and over without any new information.
The thing about the psychic and beware the redhead was a great add in. I honestly couldn't figure that one out even though I had my suspicions about Josie from the beginning.
Overall I loved this book and I am ready to read anything else Warman has written.

6. Buffy The Vampire Slayer: Tales 4/5
I really liked this. The stories are unique and yet deal with the Buffy universe. "Spot the Vampire" was my favorite. So cute! Good writing and good drawing.

7. I'll Be There 4/5
Let me just say that I love the cover of this book. Like seriously. I could just stare at the cover. I love the colors and the scene with the stars in the background. The shadowing. Everything. Except that it has nothing to do with the story, but then I focus on the image again and forget about that tiny detail and fall in love with the cover again.
The book started a bit slow for me, but that could have been because I was reading at work during my class' nap time and was constantly shushing people and calling students' names in a stern tone that meant "shut up and lay down! don't you know how lucky you are to get a nap time?". Anyways... after finally giving the book my whole attention I started to plow through this story in a hurry. I loved the constant switching of the narrators. I often find this annoying but Sloan did it in such a way that it deepened the story. The characters were pretty basic in their emotions and such but I got to say Riddle suprised me. It was amazing to see his transformation after he finally got the attention he needed.
The premise of these two kids who have never had anyway look after them and no stable home was interesting. No education and no knowledge of how the world worked was an astonishing concept. Overall I pretty much loved it. Like seriously. Some things were a little farfetched but that was ok because the story was so engaging and I felt so connected to the characters and what was going to happen to them.
Definite good read and I am looking forward to more from Mrs. Sloan in the future.

8. Sweetly 3/5
I gotta be honest, I didn't like this one as much as the first one. I felt it was really repetitive with the whole twin thing. And the ending doesnt make much sense to me. Maybe because I was rushing to finish it and about to fall asleep. But still. I felt there were lots of holes in the story.
Sidenote: So is Sam related to Silas? Same last name and all. And he mentioned having more brothers and sisters.

9. Hunger 4/5
I really liked the concept of this story. It was something different that I haven't read a million times before. And it did not follow a typical young adult plotline.
That being said I, like everyone else apparently, thought it was too short. Really short. I feel like Lisabeth didnt spend much time being Famine and we did not get the chance to know her very well.
I loved the writing though, but still. Needs to be longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment